Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Rant: Yes, a Black Man can date a White Man and still love Black Men


I wanted to blog about this growing disappointment in Don Lemon possibly dating a White man. Some blog/folks think what he's doing reflects self-hatred or a dislike of Black men. But the funny thing is, most of this anger is coming from huge assumptions.

We don't know Don's situation at all. If he's dates a White guy, so what? So what? Does that mean that he hasn't dated Black men before? Does it mean he doesn't like Black men or any men of color? No. Maybe they just fell in love, that happens y'know.

I understand there are many reasons why folks date outside their race or a specific race. And by many, I mean good and bad reasons. Still, I don't want folks to think if a Black man dates a White man he hates himself or his people. The reason could be they just click.

Most of you know my partner is White. The guy before him was Black and the guy before him was Latino/White. I don't hate myself or my people. Jamie and I just click, if he was Black, Green or Purple we would still click. I don't discriminate, a man's a man to me. I look for shared visions, goals and values, not color.

My philo is "If you ain't bringing the goods, don't holler at me."

However, I understand how my brothers feel. I know that to see a Black man with a White man cuts deep for some. But I hope they realize that maybe the couple is truly in it for love. Some of those couples may be doing it for the wrong reasons, but that's not all of us. Let's not assume that's the case with all interracial relationships. Let's hope for the best and wish any couple the chance to experience love and happiness.

We should want love to rule in our community, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment